Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Danish Diary Entry no.4

So, Monday was kind of a day for me to get over my train trauma. Mormor and I went to the beach where we sat together and taked about her childhood, my mom and uncle growing up, and a bit about myself. It was nice to just have some time for the two of us to talk and try to understand each other better. We must have sat there for an hour, just spending time trying to fix the rift that had developed between us. Then we drove through town a bit, going to the smaller houses and older buildings.
On Tuesday, we went to various little grocery stores, trying regional specialty foods. My mom had suggested that I try the Danish variation of fish 'n chips, and my grandparents wanted to buy it pre-packaged at a GROCERY store! I insisted that we go get it fresh from a stand on the docks, and no other way was acceptable. I didn't want to sound demanding, but if you're going to be eating something tha fattening, it must be eaten properly. So we went down to the docks at Gilileje, and ordered it fresh from the friers on the grill. I must say, if I had died on the spot, I'd go straight to heaven. Happiness is a basket of fried fish and potatoes, NO FORGETTING THE REMOULADE!!! :D Afterwards we did some more driving and walking around the area, seeing churches and buildings.
Wednesday morning, Morfar and I got up extra early to go to the local store for an early-bird discount on shirts for Mormor. We waited early in the mornin for about twenty minutes, and when the doors opened, we realized that we'd read the wrong date in the paper! The discount was on flash drives and printers, not shirts! So Morfar dragged me away from drooling over the gogeous moniters and into the Gilileje harbor to see all the old and new boats that were coming in. We even some some Greenland boats, that was interesting! After we came back and ate some breakfast, we drove through the countryside to get to Fredriksværk, a town founded as a gunowder factory. We drove to a commercial buffalo farm, where I saw my first live buffalo! Quite the experience, here as opposed to in the US. We saw the REAL country side of Denmark, lots of commercial farming and rural homes...very picturesque. We walked around the town and saw the old gun powder factory, now a theater. We then drove to Helsingør, where we ate at an all-you-can eat BBQ grill, and stuffed ourseleves silly. Morfar then showed me the local, summer-only, synagogue. (He's the unofficial caretaker.)
Thursday, we had to take the dog to the vet in Farum for a surgery to remove a gland. Morfar and I drove up, dropped of Tør, and went for KØBENHAVN DAY! We first saw the park where Hans Christian Anderson is buried, and then the Jewish cemetary where most of my family is buried. We then went to the art museum: Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, where they had a special exhibition on masks from around the world that was fascinating. They also had a fantastic gallery with Danish and French painters, as well as ancient mediterranean art. My favorites were the Degas and Renoir pieces. We then went to the public botanical gardens run by the university. They let you climb to the top of the main greenhouse, humid as back home, but with a fantastic view! I also FINALLY ate my solbært (blackcurrant) sorbet that I waited four years to eat! <3 When we got home after getting the poor dog, I walked by myself to a shop I had seen earlier where they were selling some cool-looking Danish clothing. I spotted a black and purple scarf with stars on it that was selling for about 80 Danish Krøner, so I decided to get myself something nice to remember the trip by. By that time, the weather was so perfect, so I decided to walk by myself to the beach. I didn't swim, (actually good, because later I discovered that the oceanside had a sewage leak @_@) but I spent some time on the sand alone with my thoughts...wondering about a multitude of things, and avoiding getting stepped on by some local horseback riders. xD

No comments:

A RA SHI, A RA SHI, For Dream!

A RA SHI, A RA SHI, For Dream!